Tuesday, August 08, 2006

It's Been HOW Long?!

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but this past summer saw my 20th high school reunion.
Holy cow! Twenty years since I finished high school. Am I really that old? Most days I still feel like the same kid I've always been. 'Course, there are days I feel like the kid's grandma... Heh.

Honestly, I don't actually feel like I'm old. I'm 38. I'm grown-up enough to raise my kids well, but not so grown-up that we can't have fun. I'm right where I want to be in my life, for the most part. There have been some twists & turns along the way, but I've always believed that you end up where you're supposed to be eventually. Things are a little different from my high school plans. Not entirely different - I always knew I'd be a mom; that was a given.

My original plan, back when it was college application time, was a dual-enrollment double-major at Wheelock and Simmons. (They're right across the street from each other in Boston). Early Childhood Education and Spanish. Then I'd be off to Spain (my preference) or Mexico to be a live-in Nanny. BUT.

When I had the applications filled out, in my hand ready to mail, I realized that commuting to school for the next 4 years meant that it would be that much longer that I'd be under my mother's thumb. Oh hell no. Decision made then and there. No college for me unless I could live on my own and pay for it on my own. So, I'd take a year off and then go from there.

Well, during that year off, I got married. Moved to Florida, got divorced, got married again, had kids, and eventually got divorced again. Whew! Still no college, but I do have a job I love - in a school, surrounded by kids. :-) So there I am.

In case anyone's wondering, no, I didn't actually attend the high school reunion. There are very few people in my class that I spent any time with, and the ones who were important to me, I have kept in touch with anyway. Most of my other friends were either older or younger than I was, so I wouldn't see them at a reunion of my own class anyway. And I'm just not that curious.
I don't really care who got fat, who got bald, who made a train wreck of their lives, or who is still just as beautiful as they were then.

None of that is worth flying to Massachusetts for. Or driving. I should visit my family up there anyway, so if I feel like it when the 25th reunion comes around, maybe I'll head on up for that. But I doubt it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

OMG, I must be back - I got spam!

Fab - My long lost brother! Where've you been?! :-D

8/09/2006 5:57 AM  
Blogger NML/Natalie said...

Wow that's quite exciting that you have your 20 year reunion. I bet people have really changed since the 10 year one. It was interesting reading this post because you had a plan and then things changed and you came out the other side and you're very happy. I admire your outlook :-)

8/09/2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger GUYK said...

You be a sprink chicken..I graduated from high school in May of 1960 and college ( the lst time) in May of 1987..hell that was nineteen years ago.

8/09/2006 12:30 PM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

NML - thanks. :-) Life is good!

Guy - Some days I feel like a kid still, and some days I remember I'm supposed to be a grownup.

Janet - LOL! If I won the lottery, I wouldn't tell anyone! I get enough telemarketer calls as it is!

8/10/2006 7:28 AM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

Yeah - I'd hire someone else to answer the phone & say no. ;-p

8/14/2006 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home