Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Let's Do The Time Warp Again

CP's comment the other day about not dressing up for a movie since the Rocky Horror Picture Show reminded me of my very first RHPS experience. And it was an experience!

I was 16 and well, let's just say I didn't get out much. My girlfriend D invited me to go into Boston to see this show with her and some other friends. She didn't tell me much about it, just that there was music in it, and that people would dance in the theater aisles during the songs, and also that we had to go shopping for some things to bring with us. She explained how these things were mostly for us to throw (in the theater!), during specific lines or scenes. Rice for the wedding scene, toilet paper when the guy said "Great Scott!", bread when they made a toast, & we had water guns for when it rained.

Okay, so I knew this was going to be very different from other movies I'd been to. I just didn't know how different!

So we got there and found some seats, and I was amazed at all the crazy outfits people were wearing, and at just how many people were there. D explained that there were people who knew this show inside out, and came to see it regularly, and so knew all the responses, and the songs & dances that went with it. And yes, they dressed for it.

Oh boy, did they dress for it. And there was a small group of actors, who play out the scenes on the stage under the movie screen, during the same scenes of the movie. So all your lead characters are right there in person. (Not Tim Curry & Co. - local people). Now, you know how the movie starts with the big lips, and the explanation that anyone who has not yet seen the show is a Virgin? The characters also explained that, and asked who in the audience was virgin. Naturally, the group I was with (rowdy gits, the lot of them!) were all pointing to me.

So the actors wander into the audience to play with us, and who comes sauntering up to me? The Tim Curry character - the lead guy, all decked out in drag & makeup. He sat on the back of the seat in front of me, looked at me, and screeched, "Virgin?". Yikes & Egads!!!! I was quite shy, and had never before seen a guy in drag, not even in a movie (cable was new then), and here was one in person, and not just in drag, but in skimpy lingerie, less than a foot away from me! All I could do was stare back at him, probably with my mouth open. Then he shook my hand, & in his normal, deep, man voice, told me "Have a nice time, enjoy the show." Um. Okay.

The show was fun, though the movie storyline is seriously sick and twisted. Still, I think every high school kid (or maybe college kid if they're as "sheltered" as I was), should go see this show at least once in their lives. Not just the movie - 'cause I've seen it that way, and it just isn't the same as the stage show. You've gotta see it with the audience participation. It's quite an experience.

3 Comments:

Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

LOL! I think I'm still recovering from this experience, actually...

7/11/2006 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I wish I could have experienced that. I love RHPS.

7/12/2006 11:39 PM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

It was a trip, that's for sure! ;-)

7/13/2006 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home