Thursday, July 05, 2007

Now, I Ask You!

Does this make any sense to anyone????

In the county where I live, it is illegal to use fireworks. Okay, that I understand - they're dangerous, and they're a major fire hazard in a place where the fire risk index is usually very high right around the times that people want to use fireworks.

However, it is perfectly legal to purchase fireworks.

HUH???

What exactly would be the purpose of that? Other than for the seller to make money, obviously.
And maybe the legal system, because if you're caught using those legally purchased fireworks, there's a fine.

Wouldn't that be sort of like selling cigarettes or alcohol to underage people, and saying, "Okay, now you can legally buy these things, but you can't use them." ?

I just don't get it.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Ferryman said...

I didn't know that counties could ban them. I figured they were legal in the whole state.

7/06/2007 6:44 AM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

Nope. We still have the big city-run shows, but "personal" fireworks are definitely illegal. But you can still buy them.

7/06/2007 8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is crazy isn't it? I don't get it either. I don't buy fireworks for my kiddo but I remember as a kid that the parents would buy them for us. Just doesn't make sense.

7/06/2007 5:19 PM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

I remember those, too! Bottle rockets & some spinny screechy thing that you would tack onto a tree. Bottle rockets can be pretty dangerous though - had a neighbor accidentally shoot one through his own kitchen window last year - thank the gods nobody was in the room - we saw that thing go through a double-paned window, and spin all over the room. I don't remember where it ended up, but I was glad it didn't hurt anyone or start a fire. Just goes to show you - pyrotechnics & drinking don't mix!

7/06/2007 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sparklers are the only thing I'd allow if I were Queen of the USA. I think that the number of morons has increased exponentially since I was a kid.

7/06/2007 11:05 PM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

Nah, you're just more aware of 'em as you get older! ;-p

7/07/2007 8:26 AM  
Blogger GUYK said...

Out here on sweetthing's half acre we just step out on the back porch and bust a few caps with the ole 12 gauge and tell god it wuz firecrackers

7/08/2007 8:17 PM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

You can do that, guy, with that much space around you - but these people whose houses are close enough to each other to have conversations at the windows shouldn't...

7/09/2007 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home