Thursday, June 01, 2006

It's 7am! Drink Some Freakin' Water!

I was out on my porch this morning, and watched in stunned disbelief, as one of the local addicts (I live near an unofficial "halfway house", apparently), walked by on his return trip to the convenience store, with his 12-pack tucked under his arm, and with his other hand holding the beer he was already drinking. It was 7:00 in the morning, people!
He's most likely walking because:
A - he can't afford a car because all his money goes to booze & whatever else he's addicted to
or
B - he is not allowed to drive because he has lost his license due to DUI
or
C - he is trying to stay fit and healthy.
Yeah. It's C.
Hence the big beer gut & the skinny addict legs.
There are WAY too many of these people in my neighborhood!
Now, I'm not a huge fan of alcohol, but I'm also not completely against a glass or two of wine with dinner, or a beer or two if you like it, or any other drink you prefer. Used to love bourbon myself. My issue is with the people who allow the stuff to overcome their lives. I still and will always believe there is a choice involved here, regardless of the "sickness" of alcoholism. At some point along that road, there was a decision made to stop or keep going, to not drive or to drive drunk, to protect your relationships or shitcan 'em in favor of the booze. Choices. Just Sayin'.

2 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

Yep. Those personal decisions such as buying booze instead of groceries are fine with me provided my tax dollar doesn't go to buy the groceries.

6/02/2006 8:45 PM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

Unfortunately, it usually does, because these people are on welfare after screwing themselves out of any possible work...

6/03/2006 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home