Monday, November 12, 2007

Yeah, What She Said

CP, the beloved Certifiable Princess, recently explained in this post about online friendships, and how strong they can be, and how some people, no matter how you try to explain it, just don't "get it".

I was using HyperTerminal & ComitLite to visit online chat rooms & forums on local Bulletin Board Services (my favorites were Dragon Realm & The Beach) before AOL, CompuServe & Prodigy got big (and as far as I know, AOL's the only one of those still big), and made some lovely friends there, as well as the friends I've made online through blogging & online gaming.

Most of my "real life" friends not only don't get the internet friendships thing, they don't even get the attraction to the computer & the internet to begin with. So sad. Pray for them. ;-p

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed that! I think that those of us who are loners like Internet friendships better. People who are more outgoing and make friends easily probably don't see the point in making Internet friends. That's their loss! ;-)

11/12/2007 7:50 PM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

That's right! We loners get the best of both worlds. :-)

11/13/2007 6:23 AM  
Blogger NML/Natalie said...

I have met some interesting people online. I didn't expect to make friends so that is a bit of a bonus. I don't do forums or chatrooms and I am still cautious about how pally I get with people after my stalker experience. Unfortunately that is the downside because some people are very quick to start acting like they know you very well and that you're the best of friends so that when you don't behave accordingly ,they shoot you down. But I agree that most people who I know that don't blog don't get the whole internet buddy thing.

11/14/2007 4:51 PM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

You're right to be careful, NML, especially in light of your bad experience, but I'm glad you didn't let it chase you away from the whole cyberworld. There are definitely some creepy people out there (just like real life!), but there are some really nice people, too (also just like real life).

11/15/2007 6:29 AM  
Blogger GUYK said...

I have met some great people via the net..and the high lights of my year have been meeting them at blog meets.

I hope to meet you one of these days..after all, we are both in Florida.

11/19/2007 7:41 AM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

Thanks, GuyK - I hope to get out to meet you & Sweetthing and my other fellow Florida bloggers one of these days, too! :-)

11/19/2007 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home