Friday, April 06, 2007

I'm Pumped!

Okay, lousy play on words, maybe, but I'm very happy about my most recent home improvement!

I have well water here, and it will be some time before I can afford to switch to city water. But the pump and tank I had were SO old & decrepit - I should have taken a "before" photo of those so you could see how bad they were. The tank was all rusty & gross-looking, and the pump whined & screamed like it was going to blow up any minute. This was the reason I let my lawn die out this past summer - I was afraid to use the well-pump as much as I'd have to in order to keep the grass watered. So this summer, I may just have pics of an actual living grass lawn to show you! (If I can get it to grow from seed, that is - I'm not doing sod).

I'd already had bearings & such replaced before, but really, it was obviously time to replace the whole mess. I was pleasantly surprised by the cost, too, so that was a nice bonus.
Anyway, here's my new well pump & tank:




Now to get the well-house rebuilt! It's sorta falling apart. The roof section is very sturdy, but the rest of it, not so much... Oh well, one project at a time!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at it, all shiny and clean and no spiderwebs yet. I have to say it's kind of scary looking. Hey, does your well water smell sulfuric? I had a friend whose parents had well water and that smelled nasty. They drank bottled water.

What's next on your list?

4/07/2007 9:29 AM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

We drink bottled water, too. Yes, it's sulfur water, although since we got the new tank it doesn't smell nearly as bad as it used to! I still want city water for the house, but that's a project for later.
Next on my list is "estate planning" (my will & living will, care of my kids, etc.), and remember that generator that I bought last May? Yep, it's still in the box...

4/07/2007 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might just win the Procrastination Award 2007!

4/08/2007 11:15 AM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

Yes!!! Vote today!!! Or maybe tomorrow... ;-p

4/09/2007 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a true procrastinator would put off voting until the last possible moment. ;-)

4/10/2007 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had well water and now have city water. My skin is missing the well water. For some reason the well water was not as harsh and did not cause so much dry flaky skin. The one thing I do appreciate about city water...water pressure.

4/12/2007 12:48 AM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

Ooh, you're right, Survivin - I remember when I rented at a place with city water, it did dry out my hair & skin. Guess it's all that chlorine. The well water has minerals in it that are actually kinda good for skin & hair. Not so good for the appliances, & clothes-washing, & stuff, though...
My water pressure's not so bad, but of course every time the electricity goes out, no water.

4/12/2007 5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home