Tuesday, April 29, 2008

This is the DMV?

I went to our local driver license & tag office last week, to renew my car tag and my license, which I'd been renewing by mail for so long, it had a layer of renewal stickers holding it together. The original issue date was 1989, when I moved to Florida, and the picture was from when I updated it in 1992 - I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, who is now 15 and a half! So yeah, it was time...

Our County Tax Collectors Office handles everything - taxes, tags, titles, permits, & licensing, so it's all in one building, and you can renew the tags & license at the same window, which is nice.

Anyway, my last visit to the DMV having been in 1992, when it was a separate building, and so slow they made the post office look fast, I went in the morning so the lines wouldn't be as bad, and brought a book, figuring I was going to be there a while. You go in, take a number, and wait to be called to a window. So I got my number, timestamped 9:22am, and was directed to a service window - with no waiting! Told the lady what I needed, she took my paperwork, asked me some questions, and had me walk over to stand in front of the blue-screen so she could take my license photo, which she could do right from her window. Cool! When I went back to her window, she told me to have a seat while my license was processing. I sat, read about half a page, and she called me back up - all done! I took my brand new license & tag sticker, paid the fees, and headed back out to my car. Looked at the car clock, and it was not yet 9:45am...

Wow! So the entire operation took less than 20 minutes! This was so much better than the DMV I remember! So whoever reorganized it, thanks! And hey, if you're looking for a new challenge, give the post office a call - they could really use your help...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet the reason for the fast service is more people are renewing online. Only problem I see with this in the future is that they'll be closing more DMV offices so I'll have to drive across town to get my driver's license renewed at the city's only DMV, where the line is so long you can read your entire book while waiting. Right back where we started.

Can you tell I'm a pessimist? ;-)

4/29/2008 8:48 AM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

Awwww, Janet - there I was, all excited about the new technology, and the quick process...
Sheesh. ;-p

4/29/2008 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My work here is done. :-p

4/29/2008 7:00 PM  
Blogger jeanie said...

Oh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Did you buy a lotto ticket?

Ours can still manage to make it a memorable experience. There is always SOME form or other that you forgot to fill out.

4/29/2008 10:57 PM  
Blogger Just-Me-Jen said...

Ooooh, Jeanie, maybe I should have!

Janet - :-p~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4/30/2008 8:23 PM  
Blogger The Ferryman said...

You are absolutely right, they have come a long way!

5/01/2008 6:12 AM  
Blogger ~Jen said...

Hi Fab!
I was pretty impressed with 'em. :-)
At least 'til Janet burst my bubble... (lol)

5/01/2008 7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the sort of guy who loves to seek radical stuff. Currently I'm manufacturing my personalized pv panels. I am doing it all by myself without the aid of my staff. I'm utilizing the net as the only path to acheive this. I came across a truly awesome website which explains how to contruct pv panels and so on. The internet site explains all the steps required to solar panel construction.

I'm not exactly sure bout how precise the info given there is. If some guys over here who had experience with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the thread it will be great and I'd highly value it, cauze I extremely would love to try solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. U guys are great.

2/03/2010 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home